About Me

I am a 40-something year old computer analyst working in the world of the mainframe and the confines of the corporate machine.
My favorite things to do are:
Sports & PC games
I don't really have a favourite colour.
I am living common-law after being divorced. I have a son and two daughters, plus a step-daughter. All are gems in their own way.


Archives


archive index
home

Great Links

  • Google News


  • RIOT CS Clan

  • Who Links Here
    Xfire
  • Pass some time away

  • What is this?


  • Listed on BlogsCanada
    The Weblog Review
    Blogarama - The Blog Directory
    Is my Blog HOT or NOT?




    Blogs I Read
    *New=updated in last 12 hrs.
    Listed on Blogwise

    Blogroll My Site!







    Credits

    base design by maystar
    powered by blogger

    design modified by Mega


    Bloggers of Ontario Unite!

    [ Prev 5 | Prev | Next | Next 5 | Random | List | Join ]

    spacer!
    One Canadian Voice
    Games, Politics, Religion, Life.
    Tuesday, April 06, 2004

    Retesting of Drivers 


    This story has got me going -- again! Now, I recognize that the roads are crazy out there. I drive the highways of the Toronto area most weekdays, during rush hour, before rush hour and after rush hour. I have seen just about everything imaginable on the roads. Yes, there are many poor drivers. Many take far too many risks, and are in far too much of a rush to get one car length closer to their destination.

    Do you really think taking another driver's test will cure them of their uptight, aggressive personality?

    Because really, that is what makes people drive the way they do. It's not because they can't be "good" drivers for a short period of time, you know, the time it takes to complete the driver's test. As soon as it is done they will be back to their old habits again.

    I have heard that their have been allegations of testers "on the take". Licenses are being bought, not earned. Let's face it, the driving instructors are not making huge money, and if someone is willing to pay a large sum of money so a "relative" can get their license, I suppose it would be difficult to blame them for turning a blind eye to a few minor infractions during a driver's test. I'm not excusing the action, just trying to see the reasoning behind it.

    Retesting anyone over the age of say, 55 every 5 years might be a good thing. I know that many older drivers are the better drivers, however, there are quite a few who also have dwindling reflexes, and ailments that make it more and more difficult to check blindspots and practice some of the safe driving habits most of us were taught when we were young. I'm not saying that the older drivers are the ones that are causing the accidents (I doubt seriously that they are), however, I really don't think that retesting the 30-something crowd or over 40 bunch will yield any results. Most know the rules of the road and safe driving habits, they just choose to either ignore them, or feel their driving abilities do not warrant them heeding safe, sound, driving habits.

    In my estimation, a retesting program is just another waste of the taxpayers' money. The number of accidents will not reduce, and the insurance companies will continue to find ways and reasons for increasing the premiums. Of course, the insurance companies will continue to yield decent returns to their shareholders because that is the true mandate of corporations in North America. Keep the shareholders happy with higher dividends.

    posted at 4/06/2004 02:49:00 PM by Megadeath

    Comments: Post a Comment
    Skin design by may
    updates by Mega
    maystar design