About Me

I am a 40-something year old computer analyst working in the world of the mainframe and the confines of the corporate machine.
My favorite things to do are:
Sports & PC games
I don't really have a favourite colour.
I am living common-law after being divorced. I have a son and two daughters, plus a step-daughter. All are gems in their own way.


Archives


archive index
home

Great Links

  • Google News


  • RIOT CS Clan

  • Who Links Here
    Xfire
  • Pass some time away

  • What is this?


  • Listed on BlogsCanada
    The Weblog Review
    Blogarama - The Blog Directory
    Is my Blog HOT or NOT?




    Blogs I Read
    *New=updated in last 12 hrs.
    Listed on Blogwise

    Blogroll My Site!







    Credits

    base design by maystar
    powered by blogger

    design modified by Mega


    Bloggers of Ontario Unite!

    [ Prev 5 | Prev | Next | Next 5 | Random | List | Join ]

    spacer!
    One Canadian Voice
    Games, Politics, Religion, Life.
    Friday, April 02, 2004

    This and That. 


    Lottery Man
    The winner of the largest lottery award in Canada finally came forward yesterday to pick up his $30 million award. Why did he wait almost a year to claim his prize? He says he "Didn't want to do anything rash". Now there are reports that he just finalized his divorce from his second wife in January. Hmmm, do you think that had anything to do with his caution?
    Do you think it was a good move? I'm not sure of all the details yet, but I would say it was a good move. In Canada, as far as I know, you need to be separated for a year before a divorce can be final. That money was won during their separation period, so should be his to do with what he wants. I don't think this story is over yet.

    Sports
    I think the Leafs are rounding into form. Tonight they face Buffalo and tomorrow Ottawa. If the win both, they guarantee themselves home ice in the first round. I think they'll do it, especially if Buffalo catches wind that the Islanders, who need one more win to eliminate Buffalo from the playoffs, are currently winning 4-1.

    The Raptors are done. Not mathematically eliminated yet, but I would say they are done. This actually could be a good thing - if they can get a true big man in the lottery draft.
    The Raptors fired GM Glen Grunwald, and rightly so. He was touted as one of the bright new GM's a couple of years ago, but some of his gambles didn't pan out. That, inevitably was his demise. They had too much payroll not able to play which handcuffed the Raptors going out and picking up any kind of decent depth players. Their second unit is consistently outplayed and outscored night after night. Of course, that likely means the end of coach Kevin O'Neill, which is a shame because I think with better personnel he could really do a great job as head coach. Despite all the recent bad press, I really like him.

    I think they should try full free agency in hockey. No more restricted and unrestricted stuff. Think about it, if you have every free agent at the same level, do you think these 32-35 year old players will be able to get the money they are getting today. I'd rather pay a guy 27-30 the same money because I know he isn't likely to hit the "age" wall during the life of the contract. Too many times the aging veteran is making too much money for what they really contribute. Saturate the market with free agents all on equal footing as far as status goes, and I think salaries just may plateau out with less bidding wars because there is another guy on the block that is just as good. Hey, it's worth a shot.

    Life
    I'm on vacation for a week. No commute! No work! But I'm doing the spring cleaning thing. Painting and getting things ready around here for some visitors we are expecting for the Easter weekend. Not exactly a relaxing week, but that's fine, I just got my tax check back to help me through the week!


    posted at 4/02/2004 08:44:00 PM by Megadeath

    Comments: Post a Comment
    Skin design by may
    updates by Mega
    maystar design