About Me

I am a 40-something year old computer analyst working in the world of the mainframe and the confines of the corporate machine.
My favorite things to do are:
Sports & PC games
I don't really have a favourite colour.
I am living common-law after being divorced. I have a son and two daughters, plus a step-daughter. All are gems in their own way.


Archives


archive index
home

Great Links

  • Google News


  • RIOT CS Clan

  • Who Links Here
    Xfire
  • Pass some time away

  • What is this?


  • Listed on BlogsCanada
    The Weblog Review
    Blogarama - The Blog Directory
    Is my Blog HOT or NOT?




    Blogs I Read
    *New=updated in last 12 hrs.
    Listed on Blogwise

    Blogroll My Site!







    Credits

    base design by maystar
    powered by blogger

    design modified by Mega


    Bloggers of Ontario Unite!

    [ Prev 5 | Prev | Next | Next 5 | Random | List | Join ]

    spacer!
    One Canadian Voice
    Games, Politics, Religion, Life.
    Monday, May 17, 2004

    More Sewer Stuff. 


    Last Thursday, the sewer backed up again. Same symptoms as last time, with the stuff going into the downstairs shower. Luckily, the last snaking was guaranteed for a month so since it's only been 2 weeks, we got Rotorooter to come out and snake again. Things didn't go as well this time though. Even after snaking you could tell there wasn't free flowing drainage happening. They recommended a high power flush.
    "Alrighty then, get to it." I say.

    They set up the appointment for the next morning. I go off to work on Friday figuring the problem will soon be resolved, but then I get a phone call.

    B&B: They're here already. It's only 7:45! I thought the appointment was 10:30?
    Me: It was. At least they'll be done earlier.

    I'm thinking, no problem.
    Next call. About two hours later.

    B&B: We've got problems.
    Me: What?
    B&B: He thinks the pipes are busted. He's going to have to dig up the floor to fix them.
    Me: Yikes!
    B&B: He wants to talk to you.
    Me: OK.
    RRguy: Sir, you have a big problem.
    Me: So I hear.
    RRguy: I tried to get the pressure washer through and it wouldn't go. Your sewer pipe is collapsed at the mainline entry. I can get to it later today. Everything should be done by tonight sometime.
    Me: Sometime?
    RRguy: I'll work as long as it takes to get it done. It's hard to say until we get everything dug up to see how much damage there is.

    So I'm picturing in my head some jackhammer type work going on.

    Me: When is the noisiest work going to be done? The kids sleep right below that room.
    RRguy: Just breaking the cement, otherwise it's pretty quiet.
    Me: Ok then, get to it as soon as you can.

    Of course, in there he let me know the approximate cost. OUCH!
    I leave work after lunch so I can help if necessary, because he mentioned something about me helping if he couldn't get one of his guys to assist.
    When I got home, junior RRguy had already dug a hole in the basement and had the pipes mostly exposed. Big RRguy shows up and gets to work. Junior RRguy is a wee bit smaller than Big RRguy so the hole is not really big enough and Big RRguy let junior RRguy know about it several times.

    It took awhile, but eventually the pipe was cut and it was time to get the blockage removed. Big RRguy kept saying that pretty soon he was going to be wading in waste, but it never happened. They snake the sewer again from the laundry room to the cut pipe. We flush the toilet a couple of times and out comes this two and a half foot long piece of sludge. It looked like someone was pushing out a sausage from one of those deli machines. Perfectly formed like the pipe it came from, and off it went down the city pipe . Hardly any mess. A few more flushes and it was time to replace the pipe.

    That didn't take too long, but big RRguy still didn't like the size of the hole.
    All that remains now is the floor needing replacing. They should be coming back to do that in the next couple of days. Hopefully, the house insurance will cover some of this. The carpet downstairs is slightly damaged from some of the back up and the linoleum floor in the room was cut. Maybe we can get some of that work covered.

    Another lovely day with sewers, and an even lovelier bill.


    posted at 5/17/2004 10:43:00 AM by Megadeath

    Comments: Post a Comment
    Skin design by may
    updates by Mega
    maystar design